Friday, May 20, 2011

23 weeks.

no, i'm not randomly, secretly 23 weeks pregnant again.  there are 23 weeks until october 29, which is the weekend of a half marathon in new braunfels, tx.  i'm not running these days.  i'm not really doing any physical activity, other than lifting and monkeying around with my increasingly heavy bunny.  somehow, these activities are not getting me into fighting shape.  i know, i've been shocked too.  

anyway.  i am considering signing up.  for a few reasons.  
  1. it's before emme turns 1, so technically that means i've gotten back into some form of shape (the ability to run 13.1 miles kind) before she's a year old. 
  2. i'm turning 30 in august and i'm kind of (really) freaking out about it (even though i know that's lame, i just am, ok?), and i'm thinking training for a race will give me something positive on which to focus my age angst.  
  3. i am apparently incapable of doing things like exercise just because they are good for me and i need some sort of deadline/quest to get me off my (fat) butt.  
the training program i think i'll probably follow (if i decide to do this) is 17 weeks until the actual race (plus two recovery weeks afterward).  which means the 23 weeks i have to go right now is kind of perfect, since i should probably do some pre-conditioning before going whole hog into a training plan, due to the aforementioned atrophy of my muscles while growing a human.  

but, i am scared.  i keep making a lot of excuses about time and all that, but it's really not that much of a time commitment when you look at the schedule.  i can make it work.  but i'm scared.  i'm scared of how disappointing it is that i've let myself get to this point.  i'm scared that i will do the runs and feel horrible and be judged (and worse - judge myself) by everyone on the trails/road.  moving forward (literally and metaphorically) is so much harder than the status quo, even when the status quo makes me feel frumpy and discontent.  

so i guess we shall see.  i'll start this weekend if i'm going to start.  maybe.  at most i've got 5-6 weeks to pre-train before i have to make a real decision about actually training.  5-6 more weeks to figure out if the frump is really detestable enough to get me off the couch....


5 comments:

  1. you can do it! this post inspired me! I am trying to talk Matt into doing a half marathon with me. we'll see. I seriously just NEED to make the time to run. When I do, I feel SO good and have so much more energy and just start craving running. but right now, once 7pm hits and the kids are in bed, I am exhausted and just feel like vegging out. It's hard sometimes to get the motivation.
    keep me posted on what you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo. i'll do it with you. i need to run and was going to train for the women's half marathon in austin sometime in october

    http://www.active.com/running/austin-tx/see-jane-run-womens-half-marathon-and-5k-austin-2011

    besides, i'm going to be, ahem, FORTY in less than a year. WHOA.

    (that being said, i have all sorts of empathy for your thirty freak out. its all relative.)

    but it does, in fact, keep getting better. this life thing. i swear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did one in Feb of '10...8 months after Charlotte was born. It was a GREAT motivator to lose the baby weight and while I was not a runner before, I truly started to really enjoy it and running that 13.1 miles was not nearly as hard as I had imagined because it is such an adrenaline rush and there are people cheering you on the whole way. I definitely want to do another one...you should give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try to get a running partner if you can...it's easier to run with someone else and you are less likely to skip if you have someone depending on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you can do it!! I'll do the "easy walk" days with you! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...