Thursday, August 04, 2011

dirty thirty.

well, i am here.  in my 30s.  a new decade bringing with it all sorts of hopes and probably (as you might expect) too many expectations.  i like birthdays, particularly major ones, because they feel like a big, special new years eve all for you.  it's like another opportunity to make resolutions and start afresh. 

as i mentioned, the hesterly brigade was in town last weekend, pre-tuesday-birthday, to help with the unpacking.  they were amazing, as expected.  they showed up on friday around 7:30pm and by 10 we had almost a whole room functional (and lemme tell you, that room was in NO WAY functional before that).  we managed to have a good time as well - swimming and grilling on saturday afternoon and evening.  saturday night there was a little fiesta to celebrate my birthday, complete with presents and cake and singing that i tolerated because we were in our own home.  on the day of my birthday, justin made coffee and breakfast and then i scurried off to my new job where no one really knows me so no one cared that it was my birthday, which was ok.  i had about 700 meetings, then scurried to get ek.  i don't think she knew it was my birthday, but she makes every day so fantastic, it felt like she might.  justin had arranged for mike and kim to babysit for us, so after getting the wee one down, we dressed in adult clothes and headed downtown.  we ended up at flemings, a steakhouse, and it was really delicious.  i have been so overwhelmed with everything that's been going on, it took me a little while to decompress, but it was profoundly lovely to sit at a table with just justin, eating and talking and not thinking (too much) about my to do list. 

which i guess brings me to my to do list.  ha.  i have been thinking a lot about this, and i'm fairly sure this list is not comprehensive or even very detailed, but i wanted to write down some goals for this year and for my 30s in general.  so here we go....

  • look like an adult (meaning, flip flops with no make up is acceptable, but not for every day, and certainly not for work).
  • take better care of myself - floss, exercise, try not to stress out, use sunscreen and moisturizer.  
  • slow down.  
  • invest time and energy into quality interactions - this could be phrased as do less, but do it with intention.  
  • cook new things.  
  • travel to new places.  
  • write more letters.  
  • give thoughtful gifts.  
  • write more, period.  
  • complete craft and DIY projects instead of just thinking about them.  
  • forgive myself and others more easily.  
  • take classes (french, maybe?)
i'll keep working on this....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...