Wednesday, November 23, 2011

thankful: november 23.

when i decide i'm going to feel sorry for myself, one of the go-to lamentations i usually consider is the i-don't-have-a-best-friend conundrum.  i have so many fantastic friends, you would think i could just be happy with that, but on certain days i wallow in the lack of that one girlfriend that i call every single day, that i can talk to about almost anything, that can reset me when i get all self-piteous and ridiculous.  it is usually not long into this foray that i realize i do, actually, have this person in my life; it's just not the traditional relationship with a member of my peer group.  it is my mom.  i feel immensely blessed to have the mother i do.  we speak multiple times a day, using the opportunity to celebrate minor victories or reset in the wake of frustrations or disappointments.  i know that my mom is the one person in my life who will always answer the phone when it's me (sometimes even when she probably shouldn't).  when i have a challenge or a crisis of any kind, mom is immediately ready to come up with a solution and to do whatever she can to help.  despite being far away, she makes an effort to know about every detail of emme's life.  she has been an incredible mentor and guide to me as i am learning how to be a mother.  she and my dad have also made the commitment to drive 6 hours to austin every 4 weeks throughout e's life so they can maintain a relationship with her (the plan has worked, as ekb recognizes their voices and has no stranger aversion whatsoever when she sees them).  i know it's not easy on them (or their vehicle) to be away from home one weekend every month, but they have never complained about it.  when they're here, they bring food, cook, clean, and help with projects (and sometimes even invent projects that weren't on our radar).  my mom is fun and generous and exuberant and loyal.  she also never sits still and is constantly improving the environment for whoever is around (one of the reasons we have few pictures of her).
no relationship is perfect, but mom and i both work on ourselves and our communication skills and try to address any issues that crop up as best we can.  she is a student of life, and a guide to me in my relationships and my faith.  i am so thankful that we have each other in our teeny tiny family.  i hope that i can foster the same kind of respect and camaraderie with emme as she grows.  

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...